The rought news that loved one is injured is never easy, but it can be even more difficult when your loved one is in the armed forces, particularly if he or she is injured abroad. Here are three things you should do if a family member in the armed forces is wounded.

1. Secure Necessary Contact and Protocol Information

Make sure you know who will be contacting you and how you will be notified if a loved one in the military is injured. You should also be aware of the injury and treatment protocols for your loved one’s military branch and injury severity. For example, knowing in advance that your loved one will be sent to Walter Reed Hospital will allow you to save the information you need to contact or visit the hospital in advance. Keep this information in a safe, private place.

2. Check Benefits and Financial Aid Resources

You may need financial aid or other support programs to help your injured loved one. Make sure you review the benefits and resources available to you so you’re aware of them if you do need assistance in the future. Common types of resources include the Department of Defense’s Casualty Assistance Program, the National Resource Directory, military relief organizations, the American Red Cross’s emergency family contact program, and various nonprofit organizations.

3. Request Family Support if You Can

In addition to financial aid, you and other family members may need other types of support, including counseling, connections with other military families, and education. Look for organizations associated with your loved one’s branch of the armed forces.

The more prepared you are for the possibility of a loved one in the armed forces being injured, the more likely you are to stay calm if it does happen. Staying calm can help you do what you need to do to take care of your loved one.